[Dshield] Microsoft - Threat to National Security?

Jon R. Kibler Jon.Kibler at aset.com
Fri Sep 26 14:17:48 GMT 2003

Greetings:

I believe this falls under the category "You have the right to free speech as long as you're not dumb enough to actually try it."

	Microsoft Critic Dismissed by @Stake

	A computer security expert who contributed to a paper deeply critical
	of Microsoft has been dismissed by his employer, a consulting company
	that works closely with the software giant.

	Dan Geer, a longtime computer security researcher, and several colleagues
	released a controversial study on Wednesday that called the ubiquity of
	Microsoft software a hazard to the economy and to national security.
	Although independently financed and researched, the study was distributed
	by the Computer and Communications Industry Association (CCIA), a
	Washington-based trade association largely made up of Microsoft's rivals.

	Cambridge, Mass-based @Stake, where Geer worked as chief technical officer,
	said in a statement Thursday that the researcher had not gotten his
	employers' approval for the study's release, and that he was no longer
	associated with the company.

	more...
	http://news.com.com/2102-1014_3-5082649.html?tag=ni_print

Jon R. Kibler