[Dshield] Mac address registry?

Rich Holt holt.rich at comcast.net
Sun Sep 28 02:39:02 GMT 2003

Josh,
Try running the IP addresses through SamSpade (http://www.samspade.org) and
NetCraft (http://netcraft.co.uk).  I have found these to be quite
informative.

-Rich

-----Original Message-----
From: Adam Kosmin [mailto:akosmin at nyc.rr.com]
Sent: Thursday, September 25, 2003 12:28 PM
To: list at dshield.org
Subject: [Dshield] Mac address registry?

I seem to remember a tool called queso that could be used to identify an
OS remotely. I'm not sure how different it is from nmap -O since I
haven't used it in some time. Just thought I'd throw the lead your
way...

Best,
Adam Kosmin

" Hi, All...
"
" I have a couple unknown devices on my network, and want to find out what
" sort of devices they are before I raid the office looking for them. Nmap
" -O doesn't give much, because it seems these UND (Unidentified Network
" Devices *grin*) aren't responding to anything other than a ping. So
" basically all I have is the MAC address I pulled from my arp cache after
" pinging the silly things. I've seen people post practicals and things
" telling about how they found what brands different routers and things
" were based on MAC address -- where do I go to look that stuff up? Google
" didn't return anything immediately apparent, though I'm going to keep
" looking... Thanks in advance.
"
" Josh Tolley
"