[Dshield] Opinons on XP Internet Connection Firewall (ICF) sought

Daniel G. Kluge dkluge at acm.org
Wed Apr 7 01:26:50 GMT 2004

Am 04.04.2004 um 19:59 schrieb Doug White:

> Download and install the SP-2 (currently beta, but stable) which
> greatly
> improves the ICF and makes it much more configurable.  It has things
> like
> dynamic ports, which keeps ports closed until an application needs it
> (with
> authorization from the user) and then closes it upon termination of
> the program.
> There is much more, of course.

Thanks for the hint.

I disabled ICF, mainly due to the fact that it is dropping lots
long-lasting TCP connections, anything from AD (LDAP) over NetBIOS
session to SSH, VNC or X11. IMHO it is a toy with bugs in its current
incarnation, more to follow once SP-2 is released and installed.

Cheers,
-daniel