[Dshield] Security CD's, Quick Look

Al Reust areust at comcast.net
Wed Apr 7 02:42:20 GMT 2004

Hi John

In the process of everything else will be setting up a few sacrificial
machines for testing, the true security posture. This means I have to dig
out some Win9.x CD's. I have a fresh Win2k Pro Box that I will plug the
CD's into tomorrow.  I will also install the EZArmor (if it will)..

Over the next week will get as many platforms running as I can. As that can
be completed will post what I found. That provides information outside
testing that others may do and provide information on.

For CA, I personally have a low confidence level. The Antivirus I had
experience with the rewrite for compatibility with Whistler.. You remember
the little *.eml (etc) files that spread everywhere? It was a week before
the update caught up with it.. Then, we are talking 2001. My Business
stance requires Symantec Corporate Edition, my personal preference is pay
money to Symantec. It is one of the few that "plugs" to Eudora (email).

CA - they have many fine products, however our individual mileage "always"
varies.. There is no substitute for testing in your own environment...

At 09:34 AM 4/6/2004 -0400, you wrote:
>Al,
>
>I checked the CA www site and from what I can tell, the ezarmor product
>will NOT work on either Microsoft Server 2000 or Server 2003 products. If
>anyone has information to the contrary then please let me know. I am
>interested in conducting a long term evaluation of its effectiveness on
>one of my lab server systems.
>
>--

The Server version is InoculateIT, EZarmor is aimed at "users"