[Dshield] What triggered the positive false alarms (Was: An unfixed highly critical vulnerability discovered in Microsoft Internet Explorer)

Peter Stendahl-Juvonen peter.stendahl-juvonen at welho.com
Thu Apr 15 22:36:37 GMT 2004

RE: [Dshield] What triggered the positive false alarms (Was: An
unfixedhighly critical vulnerability discovered in Microsoft Internet
Explorer)

list-bounces at lists.dshield.org <mailto:list-bounces at lists.dshield.org>
wrote on Thursday, April 15, 2004 11:49 PM UTC+3 on behalf of Akuanata
Akasha

| I'm sending this post to the three user's I've just received email
| from. I received a virus called, "Bloodhound.exploit.6", as an
| Attachment. Please scan your PC, to be safe. You are one of three
| emails, that I've received in the past 4 hours.
|
| Thanks
|
| A.Akasha

Akuanata et al.

Please kindly specify what attachment you refer to. At least my post to
the list did NOT contain any attachment what so ever.

There was only an example string of characters in the body of that
email. That example string of characters (in the body of the email)
triggers, e.g. Symantec's Norton AntiVirus2004 to prompt a pop-up Virus
Alert.

Please note that there is no valid cause for the Virus Alert I am
referring to. It is a so-called "positive false alert", "positive false
alarm" or "positive false detection" caused by a malfunction in the
virus or threat detection mechanism of the Anti-Virus S/W.

- Pete

      "It's not what you look at that matters, it's what you see."
        Henry David Thoreau (1817 - 1862) US essayist, poet.