[Dshield] Several fixes available for critical vulnerabilitiesinMS IE and various flavours of MS Windows

Steve itmanager at rjl-pensions.com
Fri Apr 16 17:38:40 GMT 2004

From: list-bounces at lists.dshield.org [mailto:list-bounces at lists.dshield.org]
On Behalf Of info TCS
Sent: Friday, April 16, 2004 11:03 AM
To: 'General DShield Discussion List'
Subject: RE: [Dshield] Several fixes available for critical
vulnerabilitiesinMS IE and various flavours of MS Windows

Has anyone noticed the problems with the instllation of the Security Update
for Microsoft Windows 835732? (After installing Security fix KB835732, the
SYSTEM.exe process uses up 99% of CPU time, and make the system
non-responsive).
I read in a post that Microsoft at the moment suggests that "the benefit of
waiting (for a fix) may not be worth the risk of waiting (worms).  This
problem isn't happening on every machine - just certain (to be determined)
machines."
This kept me up a couple of extra hours last night, so if you haven't
patched yet: you're warned!

Henny

Yes I have noticed this problem and similar problems with I.E and other
apps.

I tend to install the patches and then wait for the end of the day to
restart (**because the users get cranky when they have to restart their
computers**), upon doing so Adobe Acrobat crashes whenever I open a .PDF
document even if it is not web based.  I have also had problems with other
IE apps.

Odd that this would affect Acrobat, even when I.E. is not running.

Thanks

Steve

---