[Dshield] Here's a good idea

Alan Frayer afrayer at frayernet.com
Tue Apr 20 16:58:16 GMT 2004

On Tue, 2004-04-20 at 09:50, Erik Fichtner wrote:

> Sure it's heavy handed, but the Internet only functions because everyone cooperates.
> It's well past time to stop cooperating.

I see an error in logic here. If the Internet depends on cooperation, we
SHOULD be cooperating. Rather than block the identified Code Red/Nimda
server, someone should make the effort to learn if the operator knows
s/he's infected and provide correction advice (after all, such ignorant
people still do exist).

If enough people pester an infected server operator, that operator
should get the message and either fix or shut down the server.

Now collective pestering... THAT's the foundation the Internet was built
on!

Alan Frayer, CNE, CNI, CIW CI, MCP, Net+ - afrayer at frayernet.com
Member: Independent Consultants Association (ICA)
Consultants - FREE Directory Listing - http://www.ica-assn.org