[Dshield] ISP's blocking dynamic IP address mail servers

Laura Vance vancel at winfreeacademy.com
Wed Apr 21 15:44:46 GMT 2004

Hello,

I'm not sure if this is the right list, but I believe it is a result of
all of the attacks to port 25 that have been happening.

I am a very responsible mail administrator both at work and at home.  I
run a mail server at home, because I like having more control over my
email account than I would have with an online mail provider such as
yahoo mail. (there are several other reasons too)  As a result, my home
server is on a dynamic IP address (cable modem).  I'm sure there are
others that run their own mail server for the same reasons that I do.

I've seen discussions on here about email blacklists, and based on the
threads, it seems like responsible mail providers should not block IP
ranges simply because they are dynamic, but they should be able to make
checks based on the individual mail server. (such as how they handle
bounce vs reject, do they allow relay, etc.)  My mail server at home
(and at work) does not allow relay and uses the "reject" method for
unknown local accounts as has been deemed the more Internet-friendly way
of doing business.

Now for the thing that I'm curious about, and the reason for the post to
this mailing list.  Is there any way to get ISP's (prodigy and sbcglobal
(I believe they're the same company now)) to implement a better way of
spam blocking than just the wholesale blacklist of IPs simply because
they are dynamic?  Any ideas that I have had would never be able to be
accomplished by a single person since they all involve trying to point
out better ways for them to control spam and virus traffic.  Corporate
America gets a policy in place, and they do anything they can to keep it
there, regardless of any negative impact.

I wonder if this was the goal that the smtp virus writers had in mind:
eliminate all trust for dynamic IP mail servers.

--
Thanks,
Laura Vance