[Dshield] FW: Osama Bin Laden Captured

David Vincent david.vincent at mightyoaks.com
Fri Apr 23 16:22:22 GMT 2004

http://internetnews.com/ent-news/article.php/3344641

'Osama Captured' e-Mail is Malicious Trojan
By Ryan Naraine

Those "Osama Bin Laden Captured" e-mails hammering your in-box today will
attempt to download a Trojan if the embedded URL is clicked, anti-virus
experts warned Friday.

Glendale, Calif.-based Panda Software said the URL embedded in the e-mail
directs users to what appears to be an advertising page before exploiting a
known security vulnerability in Microsoft's Internet Explorer (IE) browser
to download the trojan.

The fake news item, purporting to come from CNN or the BBC and promising
photographs and video of Bin Laden's capture, first appeared on instant
messaging networks earlier this month. According to security analysts, it is
yet another use of social engineering tactics by spammers to direct traffic
to Web sites.

-d