[Dshield] ISP's blocking dynamic IP address mail servers

jayjwa jayjwa at atr2.ath.cx
Sat Apr 24 08:27:48 GMT 2004

On Fri, 23 Apr 2004, Tony Earnshaw wrote:

> > The next step would be for ISP's to block all inbound traffic on port 25
> > to their clients.  I hope this doesn't happen, but if it does, I will
> > have to completely remove my home mail server.  Even though I won't like
> > it, I will have no choice at that point, as I have no choice now.
>
> Actually, the next step might be for you to move to an ISP that treats
> one as a grown-up, like mine does. Gives me a static IP number, allows
> me to run my own mail, web, whatever server etc., provided that its
> border routers don't report excesses from my machines. All for ?16,50 or
> thereabouts per month. If it didn't, I'd move to one that did, just down
> the road from me.

It's rarely like that in the US, at least in the states I've lived in.
Most, if not all, have AUP's that specifically forbid any sort of server
or inbound traffic at all. I like my ISP for the simple fact that they
either don't notice or don't care that I do. If someday they scan me, I'm
in trouble :(

--
Heard: "On 2 recent occasions a "windows update" broke windows.
Once it disabled the NIC altogether and on another occasion it