[Dshield] ISP's blocking dynamic IP address mail servers

Tony Earnshaw tonye at billy.demon.nl
Sun Apr 25 00:47:41 GMT 2004

lør, 24.04.2004 kl. 17.06 skrev Ed Truitt:

> >It's rarely like that in the US, at least in the states I've lived in.
> >Most, if not all, have AUP's that specifically forbid any sort of server
> >or inbound traffic at all. I like my ISP for the simple fact that they
> >either don't notice or don't care that I do. If someday they scan me, I'm
> >in trouble :(
> >
> Not wanting to take this TOO far off-topic, I would look for a local,
> smallish-ISP.  These folks are (1) far more likely to have a clue, and
> (2) more likely to give you flexibility, since they have to compete on
> customer service not on how big they are.  In this case, I think that
> size DOES matter - the smaller the better.

Sounds good to me and at the same time avoids 250 Mio US citizens (or
however many there are; apparently there is going to be 480 Mio of us,
soon, in Europe) rushing to move to Europe to get a premium ISP.

> One additional bennie is that, with a smallish ISP, you are often times
> allowed (encouraged, even) to do things like set up firewalls, tarpits,
> IDS systems, and the like, and to communicate InfoSec-related problems
> to the staff - who actually listen and respond.

I believe it's important that an ISP, however large or small, is there
for its customers and not just for the penthouse or Cadillac. I see that
such ISPs can move mountains in terms of customer education (*no* spam
or virus whatsoever comes from my IPS's networks, whilst we can run
virtually whatever services we wish). I also believe that shopping
around gets one the best services in the end.

> Of course, this is my experience - YMMV.

Shop around, don't just give up.

> Thank boB for Static IP! :-)

Yep!

--Tonni

--

We make out of the quarrel with others rhetoric
but out of the quarrel with ourselves, poetry.

mail: billy - at - billy.demon.nl
http://www.billy.demon.nl