[Dshield] Recommendations for free firewall and free anti-virus software

warpmedia warpmedia at comcast.net
Sun Apr 25 21:36:14 GMT 2004

Agreed! Though it is a given these systems will have the glaring flaws that
have become M$ hallmark, these stats may also reflect on the kind of admins
setting up/monitoring/patching (or not) systems more than MS SQL itself
which should never be directly accessible from the Internet IMO.

For firewall at the border one could argue that it's better, cheaper &
easier to use a hardware appliance rather than an old PC with *nix on it.
Qualified by costing more electrically to run a PC &  easier to break due
to misconfiguration or hardware failure.  I'm still pushing used or old
stock Netgear Rp114's or ZyXel RT31x's to customers on home broadband
because they offer great features for little investment, don't cost much to
buy/run, and are solidly built/take little space.

I asked the question before: Do these other browsers use security zone
model for management of features like Java? Or is it just not needed
because the features can't be exploited, so no need to turn them off? I
really don't like the idea of all on or off vs. by domain control, even
with IE's flaws.

At 08:28 AM 4/14/2004, Mark Fugate wrote:
><snip>
>sniffers and keep in a database originate from those products.  My logs last
>week showed that 45% of the data I have collected is from compromised MS
>SQL*Server installations.
><snip>
>I provide for for anyone that requests it, firewall software using
>iptables/netfilter software which can be installed on "Throw Away" PC's or
>even servers which has appeared to be effective at blocking outside
>intrusions.  Concerning virus prevention, I would highly reccomend using a
>different email client and web-browser.

Joshua MacCraw
warpmedia at comcast.net
http://mywebpages.comcast.net/jmaccraw