[Dshield] Highly Critical Windows Explorer / Internet Explorer Long Share Name Buffer Overflow

Peter Stendahl-Juvonen peter.stendahl-juvonen at welho.com
Wed Apr 28 18:25:41 GMT 2004

FYI, those concerned:

Highly Critical Windows Explorer / Internet Explorer Long Share Name
Buffer Overflow

http://secunia.com/advisories/11482/

NOTE: Secunia would normally rate this kind of vulnerability as
"Moderately critical", since this kind of traffic should be restricted
to a LAN via border routers and firewalls. However, this is not the case
on many networks, which leads to the higher rating.

Solution:
Restrict traffic in border routers and firewalls.
Disable "Client for Microsoft Networks" for network cards. This will
impact file sharing functionality.

Other References:
Microsoft KB article 322857:
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;322857

- Pete

     "We learn from history that we do not learn from history."
   Georg Wilhelm Friedrich Hegel (1770-1831); German philosopher.