[Dshield] Port assignments and Services running in Windows

David Cannings lists at edeca.net
Thu Apr 29 16:37:25 GMT 2004

On Thursday 29 April 2004 17:03, Preston Morris, Jr. wrote:
> Does anybody know of a good site that discusses port numbers, port
> assignments, and the Windows services that run on these ports? I am
> trying to learn more about which ports are trying to "talk" and I don't
> just want to allow/deny these ports without knowing what they are
> doing.

For an official list you might like to try the one kept by IANA.

There are a number of things to consider when drawing up a list of "good"
or "bad" ports however.  The most important is that there is nothing to
stop a program from using any port it wants, unless (in Windows) you use
a firewall that supports stopping individual executables from accessing
ports or (in Linux) using something such as grsecurity [1].

An old list of trojan ports is available from SANS, it is quite old and
out of date however.  It can be found here:

http://www.sans.org/resources/idfaq/oddports.php

And another here, but it has no date on:

http://www.simovits.com/trojans/trojans.html

I picked these two from the first few results in Google, a more exhaustive
search would uncover more up to date and accurate results.

Of course there is always DShield too, listing the most probed ports:

http://www.dshield.org/topports.php

Hope this helps,

David