[Dshield] MyDoom-A/B

John Sage jsage at finchhaven.com
Mon Feb 2 15:02:33 GMT 2004

On Mon, Feb 02, 2004 at 05:12:03AM -0800, Pete Cap wrote:
> Date: Mon, 2 Feb 2004 05:12:03 -0800 (PST)
> From: Pete Cap <peteoutside at yahoo.com>
> Subject: Re: [Dshield] MyDoom-A/B
> To: General DShield Discussion List <list at dshield.org>
>
> John,
>
> Think sneakier.
> SCO is claiming that the Open Source community in general represents
> a threat to truth, justice, and the American Way.  They want to
> paint a picture of Linux users as renegades who do not care for
> standard business practices.  With this in mind it would make sense
> for them to release a "pro-Linux / anti-SCO" virus and target
> themselves.
>
> Did anyone else hear that the code contains some message along the
> lines of "Sorry, nothing personal, I'm just doing my job."
>
> Is the author that much of a jerk, or was he paid to write this?
>
> Hmm...

One line of thinking is that the real purpose of MyDoom/novarg is to
set up backdoored zombies that can be used at a later date to send
spam.

The apparent Russian origin has some thinking that Russian organized
crime is somehow involved.

SCO (and the resulting Linux connection) is just a smokescreen.

If there is such a phrase in the source code, it may be that someone
did write MyDoom for pay...

- John
--
"Mad cow? You'd be mad too, if someone was trying to eat you."