[Dshield] Big Jump in Open Relay Mailers

Jon R. Kibler Jon.Kibler at aset.com
Mon Feb 2 20:55:16 GMT 2004

Pete Cap wrote:

> I believe that this is highly likely but that it may be premature to assume that all the new traffic is from MyDoom-created relays.

I can say with relative certainty that MyDoom is NOT installing a new MTA -- at least not the open relays we have seen.

The real question is whether it, or something else, is changing a secure mailer into an open relay. Or, if there is some new way to exploit MTAs normally considered secure, but have some minor defect in their configuration.

Jon Kibler