[Dshield] MyDoom-A/B

Lauro, John jlauro at umflint.edu
Tue Feb 3 11:59:19 GMT 2004

> To my knowlege, no virus has yet to sucessfully receive instructions
from
> another virus designed to allow that virus to better spread.
Viruses, for
> all their mystery, are only programs, not living, reasoning things.
While
> it may be technically possible for a virus to search out its
environment
> and  interact with another virus already installed (or even
rootkit?)
> there to further its own infections, this approach to replication
would
> involve significate amounts of AI, and in doing so would result in a
very
> large and unwieldy virus better suited for POC code than an actual,
> in-the-wild intended virus.

It doesn't take much for a virus to leave a backdoor open ready to
receive commands.  Often rooted boxes have their machines tie into IRC
ready to listen to commands, just being zombies in wait.  There really
isn't anything that magically about it, or requiring anything as
complicated as requiring significant amounts of AI, or even for one
virus to replace another virus with itself.