[Dshield] My graphics guy sent me the following message thismorning...I'd love to hear comments/thoughts/advice:

Bjorn Stromberg bjorn at thechemistrylab.com
Tue Feb 3 16:41:53 GMT 2004

----- Original Message -----
From: "Louis Hablas" <Lou.Hablas at rzim.org>
To: "Dshield (E-mail)" <list at dshield.org>
Sent: Tuesday, February 03, 2004 8:03 AM
Subject: [Dshield] My graphics guy sent me the following message
thismorning...I'd love to hear comments/thoughts/advice:
> Or can we create a list of approved email sources that are considered
> trustworthy, virus free, and that will have the privilege of sending
> documents with the formats that are currently blocked.

> Is it possible to turn off the outgoing blocking mechanism? I am assuming
> that an internal virus is impossible so what is triggering the deletion of
> attachments generated internally?

These two comments show he has no idea what he's asking for, I hope you can
gently explain why both of these ideas are awful.

Email is not a file transfer protocol. If he wants to transfer files he
should have an FTP server. Different clients get different accounts on the
server, only see things they should, have access to it all the time, etc.

Another option would be a web server, but setup of an access system could
take a bit of time. Either way he's going to have to manage accounts with
you. I think that in the end he will find it more convenient to simply place
the files he wants his clients to get on an ftp server and have the clients
pick it up.

Bjorn Stromberg
::this is not a sig::