[Dshield] Re: list Digest, Vol 14, Issue 3

Kenneth Coney superc at visuallink.com
Tue Feb 3 18:24:52 GMT 2004

I notice you are sidestepping the question of who is telling the truth.
SCO when they claimed to have been knocked off the Internet by My Doom A,
or those who stated My DoomA is incapable of actually launching the Denial
of Service attack?

I also note with amusement the sudden showing up of four Swen mailings in a
row this AM, :)  at the above email address along with five or six My DoomA
s.  (I thought that would happen once I said they seemed to be fading
away.)  Like you, I have yet to see a single My DoomB.  This implies enough
people have installed the AV patch so spread of the infection by the B
variant is dependent on the virus finding an unpatched machine with an
owner stupid enough to click on the attachment before each replication can
occur.  Something like that African tree species' seed that can't grow
unless first eaten by an elephant, then found by a certain insect.  Miss
one step and no replication.

Beyond "script kiddies" using a kit and trying for a reputation, most
viruses have a purpose.  Good ones are just too durn hard to write, and
stealth the delivery of, for it to be done to no purpose.  Even the
Uni-bomber had a purpose.  A lot of effort was involved in spreading My
Doom.  Possibly some money too.  For what end?  To deny service to SCO for
a few days as a method of showing displeasure by Linux users?  All who
believe that, please raise your hand.  Okay, 7 people.  The rest think
there might be more to it.

I should point out that the reports of My DoomA viruses rate of propagation
also comes from the media.  Given spoofed IPs, we recipients of infected
spam mails really don't know exactly which machine originated each one.  If
we did, we would probably all go talk with the owner of the computer in
question.  I know about 60 or so people who have had viruses in the past.
I have talked to several since this began and although they have been
seeing My Doom in their emails, which were deleted unread, none have opened
one, or have detected infection signs.  Once burnt, twice shy.  If the
media claimed rate of propagation was true, then I repeat that I am dubious
that all of the spreading is coming from people clicking on a strange file
called "readme.scr" or "your account info.pdf"  Some other mechanism would
seem to be at work.

It is agreed that a virus originally designed to mutate upon receipt of a
command message to do so would be a cumbersome beast.  However, once an
infected machine announced it's presence over the Internet and created an
open port commands could be sent and received to, both the virus machine
and the host PC could be altered.  New programs and instructions can be
sent to such a machine.  Has it ever happened to a "popular" (i.e.,
widespread) virus?  I agree that I know of no such modifications of a
widespread virus before.  What I am aware of is trojaned machines (i.e.,
sub sevened or similar) that had additional trojans remotely inserted and
C: drive files remotely viewed and/or erased back in the pre firewall days.
  Again, in order to succeed, those routines required some additional
stupidity on the part of the owners.  Likewise, those were small incidents
in terms of the numbers of computers involved and the victims and the
attackers often knew each other (i.e., high school classmates, spouses and
ex's, etc.).  Something command driven and large-scale would be indeed be
totally new to us.