[Dshield] My graphics guy sent me the following message thismorning...I'd love to hear comments/thoughts/advice:

Micheal Patterson micheal at tsgincorporated.com
Tue Feb 3 22:55:51 GMT 2004

----- Original Message -----
From: "Kenton Smith" <ksmith at chartwelltechnology.com>
To: "General DShield Discussion List" <list at dshield.org>
Sent: Tuesday, February 03, 2004 3:24 PM
Subject: RE: [Dshield] My graphics guy sent me the following message
thismorning...I'd love to hear comments/thoughts/advice:

> My advice would be to use what you are most confident with. In my
> experience, poorly configured FTP servers are always the first to get
> compromised. I would choose some form of *nix but if you are most
> comfortable with Windows and can securely configure it, go that route
> and play with Linux in a slightly less "volatile" situation.
>
> Kenton

Lou, for what it's worth, I agree with Kenton. While many of us on this list
may personally like a specific OS (Linux, FreeBSD, OpenBSD, NetBSD, Windows,
etc) more than another, we're not the ones that will need to do the upkeep
on the system. If you can lock the thing down and are comfortable with it's
operation, and it will serve the purpose, go with what you know. If you want
to learn something new, good deal. When you feel comfortable with the new
OS, you can always switch it out. The trick is, can you switch it out and no
one notices? When you can do that, then you can tell Management you just
saved them X number of $$'s by switching this server to a free OS and use
your Windows cal someplace else where it will do more good and you will look
awesome in the eyes of the bean counters.

--

Micheal Patterson
TSG Network Administration

Confidentiality Notice:  This e-mail message, including any attachments, is
message.