[Dshield] My graphics guy sent me the following message thism orning...I'd love to hear comments/thoughts/advice:

Al Reust areust at comcast.net
Wed Feb 4 06:40:53 GMT 2004

Louis

It is fairly simple if you are familiar with Win2K. While you did not
mention the detail of the file format (MAC was mentioned, which has its own
"file" characteristics).

You can set a locked down win2k pro box with a TLS/SSL ftp server and web
to get the graphics outside the Firewall. The box is cheap as it only has
one purpose, FTP files (incoming) and then grab them from inside the
firewall. It does not have to be powerful, just meet the need.

I created such a box in a DMZ that does Auto updates to Micro$oft and has a
secure FTP server.. The locking down of the web interfaces so that is has a
basic default page and no other information.. The person that retrieves the
files, has the exact URL to view.. From inside the Firewall it would be via
IP address, unless you want DNS issues.  Because the incoming file format
is FTP there are no cross OS format issues.. You have an Installed a Virus
scanner that checks as it lands. The virus scanner is set to auto update
"daily." Yes directory browsing is acceptable in the correct
(un-advertised) directory.. and you can also limit/require authentication.
If you want to pay the cost of the SSL certificate you can make it SSL

The Basics:
A PII-350 with 128 meg of RAM will be fine.. yes a cheap box.
* Win 2K Pro with IIS 5.0. Lockdown tool and URLScan.. Tell it to check
daily for Micro$oft updates.
* Anti Virus that Auto updates.
* Secure FTP (Cheap) with TLS/SSL
* Zone Alarm Firewall to take care of the rest of the crap. You lock out
the MS ports.. and other favorite ports that you do no desire.

So yes, this all depends on the OS that you are familiar with.. It sounds
like you are catering to a MAC Graphics Shop. This does not depend on
getting stuff through an MTA. They are required to realize and acknowledge
the Risk. They/You create specific accounts that allow the FTP Access..
They tell whomever over the phone that this "username and password will be
allowed." All others are disallowed. In some cases identifying the specific
FTP Client for the user end (recommendations) would have to be identified..

Other than that I am not sure how to mitigate the "risks" without seeing them.

R/

Al