[Dshield] Decompression Bombs

Doug Douglass hostmaster at denverdata.com
Thu Feb 5 16:50:37 GMT 2004

On Wednesday 04 February 2004 11:43 pm, jayjwa wrote:

> lol...
> Not that I doubt you... I'm just trying to picture who sits around
> compressing 100gig+ files... my entire system sits on 3gig. That must be
> one lonely individual.
>

> [jayjwa]RLF#37

Actually it's quite easy:

dd if=/dev/zero bs=1GB count=100 | bzip2 -c > bomb.bz2

Sit back and wait about 5 minutes ( on dual 2.6GHz Zenon w/1GB RAM ;)

After reading the article I just had to throw this test file at our MTA/AV
setup and it blocked the bomb quite nicely. Thanks for forwarding the link
Jon.

Doug