[Dshield] vunerability windows

Erwin Van de Velde erwin.vandevelde at ua.ac.be
Fri Feb 6 16:22:24 GMT 2004

Hi,

On Friday 06 February 2004 13:25, Andy Streule wrote:

> I was wondering what peoples ideas were on how to mimise the windows.
>
> The other day I wondered why anti-virus vendors arent getting into mail
> clients. Or microsoft needs to be getting into antivirus a lot faster. It
> would seem logical to me that for the home user market, the time has come
> for anti-virus software to be integrated with mail clients and for some
> mechanism to exist to quarantine attachments for say 12 hours, to ensure
> updates are most likely avaliable for any new virus.

I can't tell for other AV software, but NAV integrates with outlook express
sufficiently for me: it checks in and outgoing e-mail.
Quarantine doesn't seem that good to me, as I don't always want to wait for my
new and exciting mail attachments :-)
For instance, if I'm working in a team on a project, and we want to mail
eachother files (word documents for instance, or programs or ...)
If I allways have to wait 12 hours, it would decrease my performance
dramatically :-)

> Also auto-update should be on by default and sufficiently hidden so the
> average n00b cant turn it off. ;-)
I fully agree with this.

Further, the only way to contain viruses more rapidly is, in my opinion, an
upgrade of the users, rather than of the software. It still amazes me that so
many people keep opening suspicious attachments.
But then.... there is no easy way to program brains - yet ;-)

Greetings,
Erwin Van de Velde
Student of University of Antwerp
Belgium