[Dshield] vunerability windows

Alan Frayer afrayer at frayernet.com
Fri Feb 6 17:28:03 GMT 2004

On Fri, 2004-02-06 at 09:21, Stephane Grobety wrote:

> What amazes me is that we're still seeing that many sites that are either completely unprotected or badly configured. Since it DOES make economic sense to the mail server operators and ISPs to have up-to-date virus scanning on everything that ever reaches a user inbox, why is that apparently so little implemented ?

Cost. I used to work for an ISP, and we were one of the few that scanned
incoming e-mail for viruses. We were forced to notify recipients when a
virus was intercepted heading their way, in case the attachment was
expected (even though the virus was a "bonus"), but the system worked
fine... until the ISP went out of business for being unable to compete
with the big boys.

Alan Frayer,CNE,CNI,CIW CI,MCP,Net+ - afrayer at frayernet.com
Member: Independent Consultants Association (ICA)
Consultants - FREE Directory Listing - http://www.ica-assn.org