[Dshield] Big Jump in Open Relay Mailers

JD lists at webcrunchers.com
Sun Feb 8 07:11:44 GMT 2004

On Feb 2, 2004, at 2:46 PM, Brad Spencer wrote:

> Yes. Absolutely.  If they are creating their own then it would
> probably take a true honeypot or honeynet to catch them.

Speaking of honeypots and honeynet,  I spent a lot of time with Lance
Spitzner of the Honeynet
project when I was at the IT Defence Congress in Ludwigsburg in
Germany.   We had long talks and
discussions about this very same issue while we were visiting an old
castle and schmoozing with
all the German IT people.  Both Lance and myself were invited to speak
at this awsome conference.

Lance agreed that more efforts are needed to build undetectable
honeypots.   Already,  spammers
are building tools to detect them,  but the Honeynet project is keeping
a step ahead of them (spammers).

John