[Dshield] MyDoom-A/B

Erwin Van de Velde erwin.vandevelde at ua.ac.be
Sun Feb 8 14:40:50 GMT 2004

I'd place my bet on the frustrated script kiddie :-)

I don't think organized crime is involved as the worm doesn't do that much
damage...
Okay, there is damage and SCO went down and so on, but if the virus writer
really wanted to cause damage, this is far to little: no files are deleted
and your computer does not explode :-)
I also do not know why someone would pay much for a virus as MyDoom, as no one
has any gain of it, it just demonstrates -again- the weakness of computer
security by spreading so fast.

I think that organized crime would use hackers and virus writers for two
purposes: hacking into one specific system and taking down the internet. That
are two actions by which they have a gain: getting information or altering
data and demonstrating there powers (think of 9/11 on the internet).

Greetings,
Erwin Van de Velde
Student of University of Antwerp
Belgium