[Dshield] MyDoom-A/B and Organized Crime

Joseph Stahley 3rd jestahley3 at cox.net
Wed Feb 11 02:09:46 GMT 2004

Just a thought here, but has anyone even considered, that these viruses,
trojans and worms are developed by people who may be getting paid under the
table by the same companies that provide firewalls, virus programs, spam
blocking etc..?  In order for companies to make money, they must make the
risks high enough for folks to go out and buy or upgrade their products. We
have microsoft pushing WINXP and OFFICE 2003, we have the different brands
of Linux being pushed, we have seen more commercials for AV and Spam related
software, It is an endless cycle of making money and nothing more. When you
realize the big companies Microsoft, Symantec and others are in bed with
each other in order to try to reduce the open source market (which by the
way has been court ordered in most cases) you will see it is a business
strategy pitting the David's (MS, Symantec, etc) against the free open
source (linux distros, browser distro's and office distro's) to make money
as fast as they can. It's really been in the past year where these virus and
things have really started to show up and it's not coincidental that open
source has become more popular over the past year.

Just a few thoughts,

Joseph