[Dshield] MyDoom-A/B and Organized Crime

John Holmblad jholmblad at aol.com
Wed Feb 11 04:20:54 GMT 2004

Joseph,

that is a very cynical theory and obviously represents what I call "ball
and chain" kind of stuff  if it were happening at all given the laws in
the US and many other countries. I don't think what you suggest is going
on with any of the suppliers you mention. I do believe that the INFOSEC
product and service suppliers DO commit "lies of omission" sometimes in
order to sell their solutions at the expense of a competitor's. I can't
cite specific cases of this but to me that is in part the justification
behind the saying "....let the buyer beware". To that I would add
"...ask every relevant question you can think of and don't buy the
product or service  until you are satisfied with all of the answers".

What you suggest is kind of a cyber analog to the situation  where
you've hired a termite or pest inspector to come to your premises for an
inspection and, unbeknownst to you, they spread a few of the critters
around and declare that you have a problem so they can charge you for
the solution..
--

Best Regards,

John Holmblad