[Dshield] cracking SoBig/SINIT/MyDoom, et alius

John Draper lists at webcrunchers.com
Wed Feb 11 20:57:24 GMT 2004

On Feb 10, 2004, at 8:19 AM, Andy Streule wrote:

> in the future, I imagine rival gangs/countries will be attacking each
> other
> with armies of compromised machines. now dont tell me there's a film
> about
> that as well ;-)
>
> it's an interesting question whether one group has 3 networks or 3
> groups
> have one network each.
> is there any definate evidence of what these networks are used for?

Yes - mostly for spamming.   And I would guess that control over these
infected hosts are not controlled by any one group,  but many many,
possibly
hundreds.  And they are also a hot commodity,  being sold and bought at
very
high market prices,  controlled by the the likes of the Russian Mafia.

A person or group that has control over 100,000 machines can be a very
powerful
group indeed,  not only using them for spamming,  but also seeking
revenge
against commercial interests like SCO and Microsoft as we've recently
seen.

The really scary part,  is what happens when Al Quaida gets access to
these
infected hosts?

This is really scary shit you guys...

JD