[Dshield] MyDoom-A/B and Organized Crime

John Draper lists at webcrunchers.com
Wed Feb 11 21:12:19 GMT 2004

On Feb 10, 2004, at 6:09 PM, Joseph Stahley 3rd wrote:

> Just a thought here, but has anyone even considered, that these
> viruses,
> trojans and worms are developed by people who may be getting paid
> under the
> table by the same companies that provide firewalls, virus programs,
> spam
> blocking etc..?  In order for companies to make money, they must make
> the
> risks high enough for folks to go out and buy or upgrade their
> products.

This is a very interesting concept.  But it wouldn't surprise me,
but it would be hard to prove unless someone snitched.

> We have microsoft pushing WINXP and OFFICE 2003, we have the different
> brands
> of Linux being pushed, we have seen more commercials for AV and Spam
> related
> software, It is an endless cycle of making money and nothing more.

Not only that,  but how much spam do you get,  touting anti-spam and
virus
software?  Kinda makes you wonder...

>  When you
> realize the big companies Microsoft, Symantec and others are in bed
> with
> each other in order to try to reduce the open source market (which by
> the
> way has been court ordered in most cases) you will see it is a business
> strategy pitting the David's (MS, Symantec, etc) against the free open
> source (linux distros, browser distro's and office distro's) to make
> money
> as fast as they can. It's really been in the past year where these
> virus and
> things have really started to show up and it's not coincidental that
> open
> source has become more popular over the past year.

Especially since OpenSource systems are less prone to this insanity
then WinBlows
systems.

M$ just HAS to get their act together and make better systems...

John