[Dshield] Windoze Questions..

Kenneth Coney superc at visuallink.com
Thu Feb 12 20:13:02 GMT 2004

Zone Alarm was never considered the best firewall, rather instead it was
considered the best FREE firewall.  Lots of "you have to buy it" firewalls
are available that do more.  Some keystroke loggers are transparent
hardware devices and thus not detectable by software.  Others are very well
written and are not likely to be detected.  Some are junk and can be
detected by simply listing running processes by hitting Ctrl Alt Del.  A
good system will have several different up to date AV, anti Trojan, and
anti spyware routines available as no one program detects everything.  Of
course a full Admin privelege grants access.  Whether or not the individual
chooses to disclose information is up to them.  I think what you meant was
can they read an encrypted file.  It depends.  Do they have access to the
program used to create the file?  Do they know the password?  Can they copy
the file(s) and study it (them) at leisure on another machine?  If so, then
eventually they will have what's in it.  Remember one does not have to
decrypt an entire file.  Calculations of 10^80 years to figure out a
message are garbage.  Once the encryption program used is identified and a
specimen found, all that is needed is to hack the password.  Copy an
encrypted file and examine the bytes.  Cheaper (and some not so cheap)
encryption routines have a brand name/version number stuck in the file.
Others follow certain patterns.  This is especially true with MS
encryption/lock routines.  See
http://www.google.com/search?as_q=decryption+lotus+excel+word&num=100&hl=en&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8&btnG=Google+Search&as_epq=&as_oq=&as_eq=&lr=lang_en&as_ft=i&as_filetype=&as_qdr=all&as_occt=any&as_dt=i&as_sitesearch=&safe=images
for 1800 or so programs anyone can buy.  If the link didn't survive word
wrapping, try http://www.lostpassword.com/kit.htm for one of the routines.
The required program will do the rest once you input the password.  Can we
say dictionary attack?  A common English word?  Less than a minute and open
sesame.  Are the passwords apha-numeric?  That'll add a few minutes (maybe
4) on slower machines. More than one word?  Add another couple of minutes.
  Say 10 minutes total.   Amazing how many people use 4 to 6 character
passwords.  More amazing is how many supposedly secure programs limit
passwords to not more than 8 characters.  Your best solution is to be very
careful who you give the admin access to.