[Dshield] Microsoft ASN.1

ECJB ecjb at ecjb.net
Thu Feb 12 23:25:26 GMT 2004

What about the broadband ISP providers who *REFUSE* to help you if you
are thusly configured?

Case in point:
I use Comcast [ack].
I've been getting port-scanned and DoS attacks, and occasionally lose my
connection.  After calling Comcast, they come out and look at my modem
(192.168.100.1) and say, "Hey, your modem says everything's fine.
What's the problem?"  I call back later and talk to Tech NoSupport and
they tell me that "we do not provide support for 3rd party hardware
and/or software.  Plug the computer directly into the modem and disable
your web server and then we will help you."

But my router is my 1st line of defense...then comes my firewall (Panda
Antivirus Platinum with internet firewall), as well as Windows ICF
configured on my network adapter.

How is someone like me who does actually "have a clue" get support from
the ISP when their attitude is to treat all users like 5 year olds?

- Eric.

Chuck Lewis wrote:

>On: Thursday, February 12, 2004 1:02 PM Doug wrote (edited):
>
>>Home users, even those on dial-ups, but especially those on "always on" broadband connections are especially at risk of infection when firewall, A/V(current definitions) and patches are not aggressively kept up to date.
>>

>Amen to that Doug. I read something last year along the following lines:
>
>"Within the first 10 minutes of hooking up to a home broadband connection you have been "found" and within the next 10 minutes attacks have started against your PC".
>
>This could SO easily be stymied if all of these broadband providers would provide a Linksys, etc router to do NAT, etc. The buying volume this folks have is immense and they could to that and not hardly increase the price in my opinion ! The reality is that most don't even MENTION that there will be any kind of problem. To me that is inexcusable...

<snip>