[Dshield] "Academic Freedom" vs Computer Security

John Hardin johnh at aproposretail.com
Fri Feb 13 00:23:39 GMT 2004

On Thu, 2004-02-12 at 13:50, Jon R. Kibler wrote:
> "We can't tell our students and staff that they cannot run open
> proxy servers (etc.) because it would be an infringement of their
> academic freedom."

Having an open relay within the school network is okay, after all you do
need to play around with such things to learn how to configure them.
However, such a system should *not* be permitted to see the rest of the
Internet by the Uni's IT Services without a good and valid reason (e.g.
"I'm running a relay honeypot as a research project").

> One school (who knowingly runs an open relay mailer) also stated
> that even suggesting that students and staff use AV software was an
> infringement of "academic freedom."

Feh.

By that logic the Uni's Health department suggesting that students and
faculty should use condoms to prevent the spread of venereal disease is
"an infringement of their academic freedom."

'course, you *do* have to make allowances for those students and faculty
who are engaged in actual *study* of venereal diseases...

--
John Hardin  KA7OHZ
Internal Systems Administrator/Guru               voice: (425) 672-1304