[Dshield] Windoze Questions...

Al Reust areust at comcast.net
Fri Feb 13 03:55:55 GMT 2004

Hello John

As I look questions most have been answered by those that have to deal with
Win32 on a daily basis.

I think the best answer that I can offer is about the performance of Snort
in the Win32 and Nix environments. I have 5 Win32's and one Nix. The Nix
machine and Win32 are on comparable hardware. The real difference is how
vigilant you are with rulesets (or writing quick rules to stay current with
events). In My case the 6 machines other than one are at remote locations
and would take two days to drive to them all (5 DMZ's). Over the past three
years other than driving like crazy to patch the MS Side, they are all
running and I still own them. The Uptime is outstanding.

Watching Windump and comparing the snort.logs tends to show that it (Snort)
does not lose much (I would attribute that to configuration of the MYSql
Database). I do have one box that is on a network with a bad network card
and that sometimes causes extra undefined crap and problems.

As long as your database logged entires stay below a 100,000 events
everything works fairly quickly (in my case that is over the last 4/5
months of history).

While my rulesets are behind the power curve it did pick up DeadHat (or a
portions defined by the current ruleset). It showed as a Scan Proxy on 1080
and Scan Squid Proxy on 3128. The increase in that traffic was the "alert"
itself. I think that is the key (after eliminating false positives). That
along with blocking/locking bad IP's in the ACL's, they tend to not come
back. You find same things happen on a daily basis, what changes is the
"alert." Any increase in activity means you should take time to look. Yes I
do have to live with False Positives that I have to deal with (over time
you learn to filter them visually during that first cup of coffee {this IP
did this and they refuse to find the answer on how to fix it}).

So as I get ready to upgrade to 2.1.0 and newer versions of PHP, MYSql and
Acid. I find the performance is adequate.

The basic PC
Dell GX1 PIII-550 256Meg of RAM. Win2K Pro.
(yes the bus speed is not fast 100MHZ nor the drives)
Processes are set to "background processes," Snort is ran as a service. The
swap file is a fixed size on a separate partition.
All services that are not necessary are removed and the box is locked
fairly solid.
Local Policy, is set to insure adequate logging is taken care of.
Despite IIS 5.0 (locked down) for the acid console, I have not had one
toppled in over three years.

I have ran it on a PII-350 with 128meg of RAM and did see a few performance
problems.  You can get a backlog of entries into the MYSql database.

If you would like, I would be happy to send a copy of the document on how
to build it.. It provides links to all the components necessary and a
dialog. It is currently being changed to reflect the update to 2.1.0 (and
support files). Please contact me offline. Then You can decide.

If after you have looked and it seems acceptable I can make an ISO image
available of the CD that I carry to handle upgrades at remote locations.

The cd has a few extra things like a file to add extra users, local policy
that can be imported and a few other simple tools that I like.

Al