[Dshield] Microsoft ASN.1

Chuck Lewis clewis at iquest.net
Fri Feb 13 20:02:46 GMT 2004

Excuse me Mark but this was from a tech story and it is hardly comparable to
what you say. And if it wasn't such a concern then why does SANS have a
"Windows XP: Surviving the First Day" which states:

"Since its release, a number of severe security vulnerabilities have
been discovered in Windows XP. These vulnerabilities are used by
worms and viruses, making it impossible to connect an unsecured,
unpatched system to the Internet for any amount of time without
risking exposure and infection. Users of new computers are faced
with the dilemma of being infected by these worms before being able
to download the necessary patches.
This guide will show how to install Windows XP securely, without
being infected by these worms during the patching process."

While this specifically mentions XP, it is no different than any other
versions of Windows in varying degrees...

Playing around a few years ago, I stuck a test PC running W2K Pro (that had
NOT been hardened) on to a new cable connection and was compromised in no
time...

No offense or anything but while this isn't "the sky is falling" it is a
problem. That's why the majority of computer infected by Mydoom were said to
be home PC's...

Chuck