[Dshield] "Academic Freedom" vs Computer Security

Alex Campoe campoe at usf.edu
Sat Feb 14 02:59:25 GMT 2004

Jon

Security in the educational environment is a balancing act, and the
larger the University, the more difficult it is to maintain that balance.

Here at South Florida we have 6,600 employees, or 50+ different
departments, just as many individual tech support entities. We have
students with XBoxes, PDAs, running everything from Win98 to Linux,
88,000 email accounts, 5,000 dorm users, wireless network throughout
campus, ONE abuse address. Most of the 'security personnel' have also
double up as help desk, systems administrator, policy maker, defender of
the peace. This is not an uncommon scenario.

So, we are all overworked and underpaid. So what? Some University
personnel may be forced to prioritize and, honestly, fixing the Dean's
laptop some times may take precedence over closing a relay. Other times
it may be difficult to track down the offending IP, since some
departments run their own DHCP servers.

Now, having given the possible excuses for a certain delay in taking
action, I personally believe there is NO excuse for not taking action at
all. Here at USF we have a policy. It was not easy to put this in place,
mind you. Everyone wants to be king of their own domain, but everyone
agreed that it was for the common good. If I receive a report that is
serious enough to threaten the well being of the network, such as Nachi,
Blaster, etc, that machine is out of here immediately. If the issue is
not severe, like a misconfigured open relay, the local admin has 72
hours to take care of the problem where we pull the plug.

Where does Academic Freedom comes into scene? Well, with the exception
of areas of the campus where legislation imposes more limits (HIPAA,
GLB, FERPA), faculty are pretty much free to run anything on their
machines as long as it does not create a problem for the network and it
does not break any laws. Do we require faculty to load AV on their
machines? No, not really, but we STRONGLY suggest they do. If they don't
do it and someone reports that their machine is infected with a spammer
virus, that faculty member will quickly find out their network
connection is no longer there. The same applies for critical patches.

Most of the Universities I have contact with are very responsive to
security issues. They run IDS, some have firewalls. Most have some sort
of site license for AV software, which includes permission for home use.
After Blaster, Nachi, MyDoom, Universities without a similar response,
including those who hide their innactivity behind "academic freedom,"
are sure to change their minds when the computing infrastructure is
brought down to its knees.

Alex Campoe