[Dshield] netgear rp114 & port 110 open

warpmedia warpmedia at comcast.net
Sat Feb 14 09:22:43 GMT 2004

While connected from a clients site, I decided to run a port scan of my
home system's IP and found port 110 open. The system is protected by an
RP114 with a custom set of rules that are supposed to be block all attempts
to connect.

Question is does anyone else here have a RP114 and know why this <1024 port
is scannable/telnetable? I get a nothing entering POP3 commands.yet telnet
does definitely connect to port 110.

Could this be Comcast's servers doing some sort of intercept of port 110
and not my system at all? Is there a way I can grab remote MAC & see if
it's my RP114? I know the IP is correct as I have the daily logs sent to me
and that is the IP from last nights log.

Joshua MacCraw
warpmedia at comcast.net
http://mywebpages.comcast.net/jmaccraw