[Dshield] Windoze Questions...SAMBA + Windows AD Question

John Holmblad jholmblad at aol.com
Sat Feb 14 21:35:54 GMT 2004

Laurie,

your post prompts a question from me concerning the use of Linux/SAMBA
as a file server on a Microsoft network. As you may be aware, Samba-3
supports Windows Active Directory and a SAMBA file server can be a
member computer of an AD domain.Given this capability,  I am interested
in knowing  whether it is possible for a Linux server that is running
Samba -3 and which is joined as a computer to an AD domain to be the
target machine for the folder redirection feature under Windows Group
Policy? Have you tried doing this on your network?

The idea here, building upon your point that Linux systems are generally
protected from Windows targeted malware, is to achieve an additional
layer of security ("security through OS diversity" if you will) by
having most or  all Windows 2000/XP users folders automatically mapped
to one or more Linux/SAMBA systems using the GP feature. For those
sensitive  folders that could not be re-mapped for performance reasons,
then  Windows Encrypting File Service could be used to protect such
files against theft.
--

Best Regards,

John Holmblad