[Dshield] Windoze Questions...

John Holmblad jholmblad at aol.com
Sun Feb 15 19:05:11 GMT 2004

Chuck,

in case you are not aware, the Windows XP/2003 Internet Connection
Firewall (ICF) can be configured to open up additional protocol/port
combinations. I have used this configurability aspect of the ICF to
enable it to work on simple workgoup (non-AD domain) LANS. This despite
Microsoft's generic recommendation to leave the ICF off  for computers
inside the firewall and on the Microsoft LAN.  I have not yet fiddled
with the ICF to get it to work on an AD domain based LAN but  I believe
that can be done also, especially for the non-server computers, whose
range of protocol/port requirements is typically more limited than that
of Windows server computers.
--

Best Regards,

John Holmblad