[Dshield] MS SUS (formerly Mydoom (A, B) and Doomjuice.A WormRemoval Tool (KB836528), 2/13/2004)

Guy Barnum GuyBarnum at Armscole.com
Mon Feb 16 15:22:43 GMT 2004

SUS can also be configured to pull the needed update files from
microsofts web servers and deploy on your network without using your own
disk space for storage.

-----Original Message-----
From: John Holmblad [mailto:jholmblad at aol.com]
Sent: Sunday, February 15, 2004 5:34 PM
To: General DShield Discussion List
Subject: Re: [Dshield] MS SUS (formerly Mydoom (A, B) and Doomjuice.A
WormRemoval Tool (KB836528), 2/13/2004)

Josh,

I have not used it yet but I do know that  it only supports security
related updates at this time. Here is the url to the Microsoft
deployment guidance on the tool:

    http://www.microsoft.com/windowsserversystem/sus/susdeployment.mspx

Here is an excerpt from that guide regarding the sizing of the server
hardware for  SUS:

    * The minimum configuration for a server running Software Update
      Services is:

                Pentium III 700 MHz or higher processor.
                512 megabytes of RAM.
                6 gigabytes (GB) of free hard disk space for setup and
    security packages.
          This configuration will support approximately 15,000 clients
    using one server running SUS.

In the coming year, Microsoft is planning to add support for application

security updates (i.e. office, etc.). Right now it is limited to OS
security related updates. I have heard conflicting information about
whether or not SUS can be run on a domain controller. As you can see it

requires a fair amount of disk space to hold the update files.
--

Best Regards,

John Holmblad

Televerage International