[Dshield] "Academic Freedom" vs Computer Security

John Holmblad jholmblad at aol.com
Mon Feb 16 16:20:37 GMT 2004

Wulfman,

The context of these remarks is the US although much if what I have to
say is at least indirectly also applicable elsewhere.

If by anonymity you mean transactions whose source and destination are
kept private between the communicating parties then I would assert that
when the communications medium is a public data network service such as
that provided by the Internet Service Providers, maintaining such
privacy is the rule with the necessary exceptions for law enforcement
needs.  Law enforcement has the means (e.g. Communications Assistance
for Law Enforcement Act of 1994 (CALEA)) (http://www.askcalea.net/) at
least on certain kinds of networks and with the right legal
authorizations to find out when necessary, what they need to find out
regarding such transactions.  For public service providers, I for one,
would not want my provider to be routinely surveil my transactions and
would not expect they would do so without the aforementioned legal
authorizations.

Enterprise networks are another matter altogether. In that case the
enterprise as the owner of those network assets has every right to
surveil the enterprise  network as they see fit. Ethical businesses
would of course inform their employees that such workplace surveillance
is taking place.

Academic institutions in my opinion fall somewhere in between these two
extremes with respect to privacy of communications, depending upon
whether or not  they take money from the public for providing their
educational services.  Public universities, are funded by US taxpayer
dollars, and even private academic institutions derive economic benefits
from the US public  by maintaining a classification as a non-profit
institution thereby earning a reduction in their tax payments. As a
consequence I believe such institutions should be no more intrusive with
respect to telecommunications services provided on campus (whether voice
or data) than a public telecom service provider. To me this has nothing
to do with academic freedom but a lot to do with privacy. Just because a
student, an adult, after all,  is communicating from a campus network
does not in and of itself justify a higher level of surveillance than if
they were in their home, directly connected to their favorite voice or
data service provider.  A truly private institution that does not use
the national. state or local treasury as a source of funding would fall
into the category of an enterprise and should be free to conduct
surveillance as they see fit. I think that smart CIO's/CTO's/CISO's of
public institutions understand this and they will act wisely with
respect to their surveillance activities.

--

Best Regards,

John Holmblad

Televerage International