[Dshield] Windoze Questions...SAMBA + Windows AD Question

Al Reust areust at comcast.net
Tue Feb 17 04:49:04 GMT 2004

Laurie

Integrated

At 09:46 AM 2/17/2004 +1000, you wrote:
>John,
>
>Since the latest 'critical' update, I have noticed that snort reveals a
>'[1:538:7] NETBIOS SMB IPC$ share access (unicode)' connect to my SMB server
>that was not hapenning before (7:35 am, 8:06am, 8:38am). I don't set up a
>domain, only a peer workgroup, the Win 2000/XP takes over the management,
>and the firewall does the DHCP. It seems like the days of remote
>administration are gone and everybody needs to block off external access
>(reject everything from the outside in a secure network) and employ more
>technical staff.

If you use remote administration, it is Good thing that Snort tells you
someone hooked into IPC$. It should be (the remote IP) within your IP range
(DHCP or known remote IP's), if it outside your IP range then you have a
compromised system and the IP where it came from. Depending on your actual
setup you could be seeing something that is quite normal (internal
application touching the server). Another name for the reported IPC$
connection is RPC, so if the box is a Virus Server and the client machine
is set to update virus signatures when a user logs onto the local machine.
You end up with a valid "Server Message Block" transaction. So without the
actual packet it is hard to guess what really happened. If only one
"internal" machine (all having the same patch applied) is filing the Alert,
then you may have a corrupt DLL (unpacking) during the install. That single
machine needs to be investigated. Depending on the OS Version, MS provides
a utility called QFECheck that will test and respond with the defective
patch identification.
http://search.microsoft.com/search/results.aspx?st=b&View=en-us&na=82&qu=qfecheck

However to remove those pesky administrative/hidden shares, Microsoft
explains how to create Hidden or Remove them (yes some registry editing is
required and once you have accomplished that you can replicate it)
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;314984

So as you are on a "peer workgroup" you may be able to remove a lot of
"that stuff" without impacting the people connecting to what they need. So
there are alternatives. The basic idea would be that un-wanted shares are
removed, unwanted/un-needed services are disabled, a fairly strong "local
policy" is applied to each machine. "Everyone/World" is removed and
replaced by "Authenticated Users," Servers/Files (in whatever form) would
have "machine/group/user" accounts for only those that need them and
permissions set accordingly. The "Administrator" account has the stupid
comment removed and renamed, the "Guest" account has a very strong password
and is disabled. Depending on the situation and the number of machines you
could install a "Personal Firewall" on each. Please Note, that I did not go
into how to make it just a "TCP/IP" network but that is something to be
considered. You stated Win2K/XP so that is also possible.

So without opening the VPN (for remote admin) or the Ports battles. Yes
SANS should have a "guidance" page or two. You can have a moderately secure
network that "will" resist the bulk of what is thrown at it. It takes a bit
of information, some research, a little time, sometimes patience to figure
out what happened and then why. Then more patience explaining "tactfully"
to the "quote" "CIO/CTO/Equivalent" that their policy has now "proven" as a
very Bad Choice and why.. Otherwise we are all in the "wrong" business..

Yes our mileage vary's, some days we actually make headway. Many quote
"administrators and/or users" learned "how" to make it work, they did not
learn "how" to make work securely (added complexity). While there are times
I have been tempted to just say "You are a Moron," throwing my hands up in
the air and walking away. I continued to help them. We have learned that we
can pick the battles and win, then security happens with one person or a
small piece at a time. Over time, "learning, education and trust" happens;
then we can actually make a large difference.. Education and Patience are
our best hope!

So now that you have gotten that out of your system. Are there questions
that we can help with.

R/

Al