[Dshield] Tax Time

00spy dlbntspy at yahoo.com
Tue Feb 17 17:03:49 GMT 2004

                       If you have administrative rights, I would just logon as administrator
          and do your taxes and be done with it.
JJ Noyb <quiet_sa at hotmail.com> wrote:Dear List,

I decided to go back to doing my own taxes and purchased TurboTax Deluxe.
After installing th esoftware on a Win 2000 machine, I tried to run the
software as a regular user and could. After a wasted hour on the TurboTax
chat area, I was told I had to run the program with "Administrative Rights."
I am not sure what "Administrative Rights" means and neither did they. The
reason for this was their software engineering staff has determined that the
program must run with "Administrative Rights"

Not being a Win 2000 Certified person, with ten of thousands of dollars
invested in MS training, I would like to truely understand the risks.

I can run the program as administrator, but that seems to me to do something
I should have.

I can run the program as Administrator, but that locks the program out of
network shared functions, specifically the printer.

I can elevate the user by placing the user in the System Administration
group. Kind of the same issue as running as Administrator.

Have I missed an option, besides sending the program back?

What aspect of the program requires administrator privledges?

BTW, I take all responsibilities for anything their program does.

Thanks,
JJ

SEE'YA,ED