[Dshield] ACL impact on router performance

Al Reust areust at comcast.net
Fri Feb 20 06:28:33 GMT 2004

Hi Jon

Several months ago I had the chance to asks the same question of the
"Network Engineer." Depending on the size of your shop many people share
many hats. While I do not prefer to deal with "router" issues and only the
"server/workstation" side have some knowledge. My basic question is why can
we "not" block the entire Class B address space? Just say China, Taiwan
etc.. This was in the series of Cisco 25xx routers.. The ACL's for the
Class B, were entered and the network slowed to a crawl..

What it amounted to was the with the Processor, the RAM and the IOS and how
all interact. I could enter a single IP to block (ACL).. and it would
happen right now.. If I enter a Class B and what has to happen in RAM the
Processor and IOS. It had to expand the 65+ thousand addresses and check
each one for and exact match before the next ACL entry. So If I have
multiple class B's then what happens.. Most 25xx Cisco's have i386
processors and small RAM, and poor address expansion/handling (IOS).. 3xxx
are not much better. 7xxx's depending on age have other issues.

So yes as I have not been chasing what is happening in the router world..
It could be your router responding normally or complaining about the
"specific" entry..