[Dshield] Windoze Questions...

Corinne Cook corinnec at abdi.com
Fri Feb 20 17:57:13 GMT 2004

I'm sorry, Jon, I had apparently not read closely enough.  You are right.
Tripwire is a Server, not a Workstation app, in Windows.  Protecting the
workstations is a big concern I have for my system as well. Email filtering,
as you said, has been the most helpful for us but it is not a catch-all
solution, no.  I have not found anything to date that really does the job
for workstations.  Many companies are just now getting firewalls on their
clients and teaching laptop users how to update their virus defs while on
the road; even if there were client products like tripwire, the cost would
likely cause many companies to balk.  Just from my experience, many of them
would rather have you rebuild several workstations later than pony up $$'s
for prevention now.  But isn't that how just too much of the world works in
general(reaction vs. prevention)?

I would be interested to hear about it if you find a product that works,
does not impact general productivity on a mid-powered workstation, and is
cost effective.

Thanks and sorry for the wrong info,

Corinne