[Dshield] Windoze Questions...

john beck jbeck80 at hotmail.com
Fri Feb 20 17:28:36 GMT 2004

This may help

GFI has a freeware product called "System Integrity Monitor"

GFI LANguard S.I.M. scans your system for important system files, computes
an MD 5 checksum for every important system and files this in a database. At
scheduled intervals, GFI LANguard S.I.M. scans the list of monitored files,
computes another MD 5 checksum and tests the current value against the
stored value to determine if the file has been modified. If it detects a
change, it notifies the system administrator via email, and logs the
occurrence in the security event log.

Secure file integrity checking using MD5
MD 5, or Message Digest Algorithm, is a standard for creating fingerprints
of files. It is a one-way hash algorithm that takes any length of data and
produces a 128 bit "fingerprint" or "message digest".

Highly efficient process
GFI LANguard S.I.M.'s file integrity checking runs in the background as a
service.

Create multiple scan jobs
GFI LANguard S.I.M. allows you to create multiple scan jobs, so that you can
monitor different types of files at different intervals.

Email alerts
GFI LANguard S.I.M. can send alerts to different people/email addresses for
different scan jobs.

Web vandal detection
GFI LANguard S.I.M. scans web site pages for changes, and can therefore
detect and notify you of web page vandalism immediately.

Freeware
As it is freeware, GFI LANguard S.I.M. is available for all.

Logs file changes to Windows event log
File/system changes are logged to the Windows security event log, allowing
you to easily view a list of file changes over time.

Tamperproof
Because GFI LANguard S.I.M. logs file changes to the Windows security event
log you have an undeletable log of changes to your system files.

Integration with GFI LANguard S.E.L.M.
GFI LANguard Security Event Log Monitor (S.E.L.M.) can detect events created
by GFI LANguard S.I.M. and can archive these events to a database. This
allows you to consolidate system changes on multiple servers and
workstations to one database for centralised auditing.