[Dshield] User Education revisited - need to start with 'local'communities

Deb Hale haled at pionet.net
Sun Feb 22 12:40:24 GMT 2004

Linda, I totally agree.  I have for the last 2 years been trying to get this
information out to my community. It was really slow at first, people didn't
want to listen. I am now presenting to groups once a week. I have done work
shops at schools, media centers, senior citizen groups, and tip clips for
one of our local tv stations.  I have talked to all age groups.  I have now
been asked to present at two conferences in the fall in Iowa.

The thing that amazed me at first and still amazes me today is that people
are so naive when it comes to the internet and it's "dangers" and they are
so receptive and appreciative of the information I have shared with them.
People call me after the session is over and ask me to come and clean up
their computer.  I can honestly say that the users in my area are becoming
more educated and safer internet users.  (The number of Kazaa users is
dropping rapidly. ;-) ).     There are so many more to educate and I am
having so much fun doing it. Just don't give up. We need more people to take
an active role in this type of education.

Deb