[Dshield] DI-624 encryption

Keith Bergen keith at keithbergen.com
Sun Feb 22 15:20:08 GMT 2004

Michael,

I'm sorry that I cannot help with the D-Link setup issues, but I had to
comment on using encryption for security. You need to be aware that the data
encryption on the routers (64 bit, 128 bit, and 256 bit) can be cracked
fairly easily, and it doesn't take an expert. Basically, all you need to do
is capture a few wireless packets, and you can break the key. Changing your
key frequently can help you in the event that somebody figures it out.

One thing that encryption does do for you is prevent pesky novice neighbors
from using your internet connection. I have two neighbors that have wireless
networks, and I can use them when mine is down because they are wide open.

Keith.