[Dshield] Windoze Questions...SAMBA + Windows AD Question

David Vincent david.vincent at mightyoaks.com
Tue Feb 24 04:20:02 GMT 2004

> Earlier on last week I sent an email to the CBL Administration Manager
> stating that 'I cannot guarantee the security of the internal
> network while
> XP/2000 boxes are connected to the network, until a patch is
> released for
> the latest exploit'. I then removed server access to all Win
> 2000 boxes, but
> have been overruled on blocking network access for the one XP
> box (that has
> not been made available for maintenance for over 6 months
> despite numerous
> requests (another overrule)). I have also been overruled on
> shutting down
> the server and firewall during the day, disconnecting them
> from the network,
> and re-setting passwords in the safest environment, whenever
> I notice the
> Server HDD lights and the cable modem lights going crazy, with nobody
> accessing them. Last Friday I tried to access the Win2000 IDS
> box (after a
> safe reset of the Samba server root password, and safe
> password reset on the
> Win2000 box/IDS) but received the message 'The Administrator
> has blocked
> access to this computer'. I know that the person who uses the
> XP box is
> incapable of administering the network. I am now on a win 98 box with
> msasn1.dll removed.

laurie, go to http://www.sysinternals.com and get yourself a copy of
tcpview.  also go and get "stinger" from the mcaffee website.
http://vil.nai.com/vil/stinger/  give those a whirl on your server.  stinger
will take care of the most recent viri, tcpview will show you all the open
connections to your server and where the exes are that are being exploited.

sounds like you're either infected with viri or you're 0wned.

also sounds like the administration doesn't care.  that sucks.

also sounds like you have a lot of work ahead of you.  :(

-d