[Dshield] Banks Openly Inviting Email Fraud

Jon R. Kibler Jon.Kibler at aset.com
Tue Feb 24 15:17:35 GMT 2004

Darren Gragg wrote:

> Jon-
>
> I think we need to clarify this a little bit.  Not all financial
> institutions are doing this.  Only the ones trying to cut every corner to
> save money by shipping this type of correspondence to a 3rd party.

<SNIP!>

I didn't say that every institution was doing this... and I agree that
many/most are not. I am sorry if you took it that way -- it was not my
intention.

Also, the problem is not limited to those sending work out to third parties.
We have persistent problems with email from major financial institutions to
our customers bouncing because we do not accept email from any system whose
hostname we cannot verify. Two of the country's largest banks' in-house
systems are the worst offenders. We have complained to these organizations
and their ISPs REPEATEDLY with no results. It appears that they just don't
get it and probably never will.

Jon
--
Jon R. Kibler